In the Begining
The original piggery buildings were erected from 1956 onwards and used intensively for rearing pigs for the next twenty five years. The buildings and land were then sub-let and sub sub-let. It was then that with very little care and maintenance the buildings fell into severe disrepair. This was evident when we purchase the land in 2001
A mammoth clean-up operation began. Debris was removed, fences were erected, hedgerow was replaced and rabbit net was dug in all round the perimeter of the land. Over 1600m of netting was used!
We planted native hedging included blackthorn; hawthorn; holly and beech. Every tree needed a spiral guard round it and friends and family were generous with their time. Next came the planting of eight different species of trees which will ultimately form a natural wooded area round the whole of site. Evergreen and deciduous trees were chosen for all year round interest.
After the planting came the structural changes. The entrance was changed which straightened it and enabled it to be widened. Car parking was formed as were the access paths.
The name Deer Park Farm is taken from the adjacent property which was originally the deer keepers lodge for Scampston Hall; which used to have a large deer herd up until the Second World War. The keepers lodge is now known as The Deer Park. It took a lot of vision and hard work to take on such a mammoth task. After the first changes were implemented the transformation became clearer. It soon became apparent that there was no going back.
Interested in what happened next? A full and comprehensive guide is given at Wolds Way Lavender. Visit us to see for yourselves the amazing achievements and pitfalls along the way.